This is probably one of my favorite Indian dishes, it is super versatile and crazy easy and quick to make! It’s a great way to get a lot of greens in and its packed with micronutrients!
There are a lot of ways to make this and like with lots of Indian dishes there really are no rules, but there are 1 in this case: DO NOT USE A LID AT ANY POINT IN THE RECIPES!!! The short version why that is is because we want to keep that vibrant green color and if we use a lid it will look muddier
Paneer is an Indian cheese, so my vegan version of this is to use a soy bean cheese aka tofu.
- 250g / 0.55 pounds firm tofu
- 2 big handfuls spinach (around 180g / 0.4 pounds)
- 1 handful fresh coriander, optional
- 1 green chili, cut of the top
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 bay leave
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½-1 tsp garam marsala spice
- 3-6 tbsp coconut milk from a can
- Salt and lime juice to taste
- In a frying pan or Air fryer, fry the tofu in a little oil until it gets crispy on the sides.
- Wash all the Spinach and coriander
- In a big pot boil water and add all the Spinach and cook for 30 sec to 1 minute, until they go soft.
- Add the Spinach, coriander and the green chili in a blender or use a hand blender and blend until you get the consistency you like.
- In a pan add the oil, cumin, mustard seeds and bay leave and fry until they start to pop, turn the heat down to medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until the onion gets soft.
- Add the tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes. You may add a bit of water if needed.
- Add the garam marsala spice and the green mix and cook for 3-5 minutes till it thickens a little.
- Add the tofu and coconut milk and mix it.
- Taste with salt and lime juice