This is probably one of the things my kids missed the most going vegan…. Here in Denmark, we have a big tradition for open-faced sandwiches on rye bread and we have a ton of different toppings.
I will argue that some of the toppings that I have veganized are even yummier than the original…
Now a warning!!! this is by no means a healthy recipe, but its damn good!
It took me a little time to figure out how to get that ham flavor, and I played around with different foods… With Ham, there are 3 main dominant flavors; smoke, salt, and umami.
For the smoky flavor, I used Liquid smoke.
For the Salty flavor, I used salt and miso.
For the umami flavor, I used miso.
I think I have hit the flavors pretty spot on, my kids are happy and that’s whats important 😉 lol.
- 1 cup (2,5dl) fine TVP / fine soy granulate
- 2 cups (5dl) Hot boiled water
- 3 tsp salt
- 9 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 tsp miso (vegan)
- 1 tbsp syrup
- 3-6 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp finely grated onion
- salt, pepper, syrup for taste
- In a bowl mix Water, salt, liquid smoke, miso, and syrup until its dissolved.
- add the TVP and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- press out as much of the water from the TVP as you can and mix it with mayo and onion and taste with salt, pepper and syrup.
And you are done! enjoy it on bread or with a spoon, lol.