This is a dish is pretty new to me, but I am just crazy about it! I found that there are a million ways to make this and there really isn’t a right or wrong way.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
- ½ cup mung beans
- ½ cup yellow or red lentils
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3-6 green chilis, cut in half on the long side
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp black salt
- Rinse the mung beans and the lentils
- Add them to a pot and add water till you have 0,5inch water over it.
- Add the turmeric and the chili, and heat it up till it boils, then cook it on medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until the beans and lentils are almost cooked (you may need to add more water).
- In a frying pan add the oil, cumin and mustard seeds, fry it on till they start to pop, then add the tomatoes, ginger and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lentil/mung beans to the frying pan and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Taste with salt and/or lime juice.Note: you could use veggie broth instead of water.
this recipe would be perfect as is or with naan bread or with a little rice.