If you have access to fresh elderflowers in the early summer, I highly recommend you to give this recipe a try. it is very cheap to make and I think that it taste so much better then the store bought version that you can get here in Denmark.
- 20 elderflower umbels
- 500g sugar
- 25g lemon acid powder or wineacid powder
- 2-3 organic Lemons
- 1 tsp Atamon (if you plan on keeping it over winter)
- 1 L boiling water
- Place every thing in a large bowl (juice the lemons but also add the peel) and mix until the sugar are dissolved.
- place it in the fridge for 2 days covered by a clean dishtowl.
- if you don’t plan on using it right away i recommed to give it a boil after the 2 days.
- After the 2 days sive the liquid from the flowers and lemon.
- Give the liquid a boil for 5 minutes and fill clean boiled bottles with the syrup.
- When you want to use it add icecold water and a little syrup. I like it like this 1/3 syrup and 2/3 water.
if you are lucky you can find a red eldertree, that will give you pink flowers and a pink lemonade